About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Quilting the Marble Tiles Quilt

This Marble Tiles Quilt is made almost entirely from batik fabrics which are too hard to quilt by hand. And it has a 100% cotton batting which is also very hard to hand needle. Hence I am machine quilting, which is a challenge for me as I usually hand quilt.
I am using the walking foot on my wonderful old Singer, so so far so good. Manipulating all of the fabric is the hardest part, but I have realized that one important point is to never take the quilt out from under the presser foot unless forced to put in a new bobbin.







No comments:

Post a Comment