About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Friday, April 27, 2012

Wedding gift quilt

Three years ago I made a quilt for G. and S. for their wedding gift. Then their dog chewed it, and it took them 3 years to dare tell me. Of course I don't care - I am so delighted that they use it for real every day life. That is what I want everyone to do with the quilts and socks and sweaters and everything I make. So I brought some scraps with me this visit, and mended the quilt. The top is perfect, if I do say so myself, but I did not have a scrap of the backing fabric, so that has a noticeable patch. But, I think that adds to its charm . . .
This is the mend on the front.

Detail of the hand quilting which I think turned out very beautifully.


The quilt as it was being mended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment