About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Monday, March 26, 2012

My Singer Sewing Machine


My Singer is serial number #EE906596. It is a 201K class electric machine. The 201K machines were manufactured at the Kilbowie Singer Works factory in Clydebank, Scotland. My machine is dated December 28, 1948. This information was provided to me by the helpful Singer serviceman at the Singer Centre (6190 Kingsway  Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 1H5, phone 604- 437-1633)
who serviced the machine for me after I bought it about 10 years ago for $60 at a second hand store
in New Westminster.

There is lots of good information on the Singer 201 at the Sewalot.com site. Alex Askaroff says,
"Today there is still no domestic sewing machine made that will stitch better than the Singer 201sewing machine that is in good working order."And later on the same page, he says "The Singer 201 simply represents the very best that Singer's could make and was built to last a lifetime. Even today many professional sewers seek out this elusive model as no new machine can come close to this beauty for reliability and stitch quality."

Isaac Merritt Singer


My wonderful Singer sews like a dream with a beautiful solid straight stitch. I can quilt backwards
across an entire quilt top in reverse, and the reverse stitch is exactly the same length and tension as
the forward stitch. I have added a walking foot which I use for quilting.


This photo shows the entire wooden cabinet, with the machine covered with a cloth cover that I

made, and with both the side worktops extended.

Here is picture of an earlier 201 model from 1939.


No comments:

Post a Comment