About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I just love hand sewing . . .

I just love hand sewing. Even though I have taken to machine piecing some of my quilts lately, and have even done some machine quilting, my heart is in my hands. I am going back to what I love and I have four (that is only 4 - one needs variety, eh) hand piecing and quilting projects that I plan to take to Thetis Island for our quilting retreat. I will pack my machine just in case, but I don't know if I will take it out of the car. I really plan to just hand sew happily.
Here is a table mat that I just finished that I love. It is from a Japanese Reversible Quilting book (at least that is my interpretation of the title, it is all in Japanese) that I bought in San Francisco in September 2011. You cut a big square and fold it in, mitring the corners. That you add a square of batting and appliqué another square on top. You tack the corners, and after quilting inside the square (I used perle cotton in lovely colours that I bought at Lacis in Berkeley, also during that September visit) you do a nifty joining stitch to put all the squares together. See the detail pics below. This has been a trial piece, and now I have a bigger quilt sized piece planned as one of my four - more on that in a subsequent post.






No comments:

Post a Comment