About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Getting ready for Thetis

I spend the day getting ready for my upcoming Monday to Friday on Thetis Island for our annual quilting retreat. I have lots of projects to work on:

  • 4 placemats of hand pieced hexagons that I found in my unfinished projects box, that I have basted with batting and backing ready to hand quilt;
  • ditto that blue flower centre piece that I cannot bear to discard even though it seems a little too precious for my taste now, basted to batting and backing and ready to hand quilt;
  • ditto the Kaffe Fasset quilt pattern for marble mosaics that I started years ago, hand piecing, with all the fabrics and sandpaper templates to carry on;
  • and most inspiring, my Japanese Orinuno quilt project, with circles and squares and batting all cut out and ready to hand piece.
I have packed the car and included my sewing machine just in case I decide I need it, but I also brought my tall Ott light for good lighting for all the hand sewing that I plan to do.

I made Leek and Potato Soup so J. would have it to eat, and I downloaded some more audiobooks for quiet knitting time in the evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment