About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Today I planted annuals in pots

The May long weekend is traditionally gardening time all across Canada. But tomorrow, Saturday, I am off to the Empire Days Quilt Show in Cumberland, so I planted all my annuals in pots and hanging baskets today. I also planted a bed of vegetables, and for the first time I used starter plants from the nursery instead of seeds. We will see how it works out - it certainly was easier and I have instant gratification.
The scented nutmeg geranium in the big pot has been wintered over in the garden shed for at least  four years. Here it is outside under the eaves, getting acclimatized, along with some newly potted annuals.

 Petunias are my choice this year for potted annuals that can take the heat and show summer long colour.

The flower box on the well house was planted with pansies three weeks ago, but I added some annuals today to get the transition going to warmer weather plants.

Here is my veggie bed with broccoli in the middle, Italian parsley up top, and some lettuces along the bottom. Let us hope for the best - with all the Douglas Fir trees increasing in height every year shading the garden and sending out roots sucking up the moisture  from the soil - well, these lovely raised beds are breaking my gardening heart!

This hanging basket outside the garage should be very pretty in a short time.

No comments:

Post a Comment